Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
14391 leading 14692 on southbound train at Forres
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_532
PLACENAME
Forres
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27250
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
14391 leading 14692 on southbound train at Forres

14391 'Loch Shin' leading 14692 'Darnaway Castle' on a southbound train departing from Forres.

'Loch Shin', a 'Loch' Class 4-4-0 entered service in 1896 as HR No. 131. She came to an inglorious end, being used as a target for allied bombing practice at Shoeburyness. The records show her as being withdrawn in August 1941. 'Darnaway Castle' was introduced in March 1917 as HR No 58. She was withdrawn by the LMS in March 1946.

Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).

The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout.

The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

14391 leading 14692 on southbound train at Forres

MORAYSHIRE

Highland Railway; HR; railways;

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

14391 'Loch Shin' leading 14692 'Darnaway Castle' on a southbound train departing from Forres.<br /> <br /> 'Loch Shin', a 'Loch' Class 4-4-0 entered service in 1896 as HR No. 131. She came to an inglorious end, being used as a target for allied bombing practice at Shoeburyness. The records show her as being withdrawn in August 1941. 'Darnaway Castle' was introduced in March 1917 as HR No 58. She was withdrawn by the LMS in March 1946.<br /> <br /> Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).<br /> <br /> The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout. <br /> <br /> The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.