Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Forres Station from the west, 1960
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_534
PLACENAME
Forres
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
14 June 1960
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
H C Casserley 56925
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27252
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
London Midland and Scottish
HRS
Forres Station from the west, 1960

This photograph shows a view of Forres from the west. A 'Special' is in the station hauled by an ex-LMS 2P 4-4-0 locomotive. A line of eager photographers are looking on.

The locomotive, 40633, was introduced into service as LMS No 668 in December 1931 and was withdrawn in September 1961.

Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).

The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout.

The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Forres Station from the west, 1960

MORAYSHIRE

1960s

Highland Railway; HR; railways; London Midland and Scottish; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a view of Forres from the west. A 'Special' is in the station hauled by an ex-LMS 2P 4-4-0 locomotive. A line of eager photographers are looking on.<br /> <br /> The locomotive, 40633, was introduced into service as LMS No 668 in December 1931 and was withdrawn in September 1961.<br /> <br /> Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).<br /> <br /> The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout. <br /> <br /> The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.