Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
View of platform at Forres from train, 1993
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_535
PLACENAME
Forres
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
June 1993
PERIOD
1990s
CREATOR
K Fenwick
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27253
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
HRS
View of platform at Forres from train, 1993

The platform at Forres seen from an approaching westbound train hauled by 37431.

The engine is a Class 37 locomotive which entered service in March 1965 as D6972. In 1993 she was based in Inverness and was regularly seen on the Inverness - Aberdeen run. She was cut up in Wigan in January 2000.

Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).

The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout.

The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

View of platform at Forres from train, 1993

MORAYSHIRE

1990s

Highland Railway; HR; railways;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

The platform at Forres seen from an approaching westbound train hauled by 37431.<br /> <br /> The engine is a Class 37 locomotive which entered service in March 1965 as D6972. In 1993 she was based in Inverness and was regularly seen on the Inverness - Aberdeen run. She was cut up in Wigan in January 2000.<br /> <br /> Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).<br /> <br /> The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout. <br /> <br /> The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.