Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
40663 in up platform at Forres Station, 1960s (2)
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_542
PLACENAME
Forres
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
c.1960
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
D Lawrence 7558
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27260
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
40663 in up platform at Forres Station, 1960s (2)

40663 in up Elgin platform at Forres station, facing Inverness, on a Scottish Railtour in 1960.

The locomotive, 40663, was introduced into service as LMS No 668 in December 1931 and was withdrawn in September 1961.

Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).

The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout.

The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

40663 in up platform at Forres Station, 1960s (2)

MORAYSHIRE

1960s

Highland Railway; HR; railways;

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

40663 in up Elgin platform at Forres station, facing Inverness, on a Scottish Railtour in 1960.<br /> <br /> The locomotive, 40663, was introduced into service as LMS No 668 in December 1931 and was withdrawn in September 1961.<br /> <br /> Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).<br /> <br /> The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout. <br /> <br /> The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.