Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Forres Station from beyond the junction, 1930s
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_546
PLACENAME
Forres
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
c.1930
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Stations UK RR3A26B
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27264
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
HRS
Forres Station from beyond the junction, 1930s

Forres from the west end, beyond the junction. A Highland Railway locomotive is just visible by the sheds on the right.

Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).

The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout.

The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Forres Station from beyond the junction, 1930s

MORAYSHIRE

1930s

Highland Railway; HR; railways;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Forres from the west end, beyond the junction. A Highland Railway locomotive is just visible by the sheds on the right. <br /> <br /> Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).<br /> <br /> The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout. <br /> <br /> The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.