Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
57620 on goods train in the yard at Forres, 1958
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_549
PLACENAME
Forres
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
12 September 1958
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
Harold D. Bowtell
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27267
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
CR
Caley
HRS
57620 on goods train in the yard at Forres, 1958

This photograph shows 57620 on the 8.56am goods train in the yard at Forres.



57620 was built by the Caledonian Railway as their number 285 at the St Rollox works in September 1899. An 0-6-0 locomotive of the '812' Class, she carried the LMS number 17620 and was finally withdrawn in June 1962



Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).



The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout.



The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

57620 on goods train in the yard at Forres, 1958

MORAYSHIRE

1950s

Highland Railway; HR; railways; CR; Caley;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows 57620 on the 8.56am goods train in the yard at Forres.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> 57620 was built by the Caledonian Railway as their number 285 at the St Rollox works in September 1899. An 0-6-0 locomotive of the '812' Class, she carried the LMS number 17620 and was finally withdrawn in June 1962<br /><br /> <br /><br /> Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).<br /><br /> <br /><br /> The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout. <br /><br /> <br /><br /> The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.