Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
17953 at Forres Station, 1947
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_550
PLACENAME
Forres
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
20 June 1947
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
W A Camwell
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27268
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways

17953 at Forres Station, 1947

This photograph, taken from the platform end at Forres, shows 17953 on the 8.05 am Aberdeen - Inverness service.

The locomotive, a 'Super Goods' Class 4-6-0, was built by the Highland Railway and introduced in June 1918' as No. 78, becoming LMS 17953. She carried on into British Railways ownership as 57593 and was finally withdrawn in October 1948.

Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).

The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout.

The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

17953 at Forres Station, 1947

MORAYSHIRE

1940s

Highland Railway; HR; railways;

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph, taken from the platform end at Forres, shows 17953 on the 8.05 am Aberdeen - Inverness service. <br /> <br /> The locomotive, a 'Super Goods' Class 4-6-0, was built by the Highland Railway and introduced in June 1918' as No. 78, becoming LMS 17953. She carried on into British Railways ownership as 57593 and was finally withdrawn in October 1948.<br /> <br /> Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).<br /> <br /> The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout. <br /> <br /> The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.