Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
54481 at Forres Station, 1949
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_552
PLACENAME
Forres
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
20 September 1949
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
Harold D. Bowtell
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27270
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
54881
54481 at Forres Station, 1949

This photograph shows 54481 (32A) and 2 bogie coaches on the 10.52am Forres to Keith service.

The locomotive is an ex-Caledonian '72' Class 4-4-0, introduced July 1920 as CR No 76. She became LMS No 14481 then BR 54481, before finally being withdrawn July 1953. The plate with 32A is the 'shed plate', this shows the home 'shed' of the locomotive. 32A is Norwich.

Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).

The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout.

The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

54481 at Forres Station, 1949

MORAYSHIRE

1940s

Highland Railway; HR; railways; 54881

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows 54481 (32A) and 2 bogie coaches on the 10.52am Forres to Keith service.<br /> <br /> The locomotive is an ex-Caledonian '72' Class 4-4-0, introduced July 1920 as CR No 76. She became LMS No 14481 then BR 54481, before finally being withdrawn July 1953. The plate with 32A is the 'shed plate', this shows the home 'shed' of the locomotive. 32A is Norwich.<br /> <br /> Forres originally opened on 25 March 1858 on the Keith to Inverness line. The site of the station was moved on 3 August 1863 with the opening of the 'main line' south (although this designation was lost with the opening of the new, more direct line through Carrbridge in 1898).<br /> <br /> The new station provided a double junction with the existing line so that trains from either Inverness or Keith could access the line without reversing. Platforms were provided on all lines, giving the station an unusual triangular layout. <br /> <br /> The old main line to Aviemore closed on 5 July 1965, although the section from Aviemore to Broomhill has been reopened by the Speyside Railway.