Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
'Yankee' tank and train at Fort Augustus Station, 1903
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_571
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
DATE OF IMAGE
1903
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27288
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
HRS
'Yankee' tank and train at Fort Augustus Station, 1903

A 'Yankee' tank, No. 52, and a train of white and green coaches at Fort Augustus.

The 'Yankee' tanks were originally designed for a railway in Uruguay but were not delivered. They were bought by the Highland Railway in 1892. This locomotive was originally No. 15 'Fortrose' but was renumbered 52 in December 1900.

The Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway ran from Spean Bridge to Fort Augustus, via Invergarry. It was built by an independent company and was never part of the Highland Railway although the HR did operate the line between July 1903 and May 1907.

The line closed temporarily on 31 October 1911 and reopened on 1 August 1913. It closed to passengers on 1 December 1933 and finally to goods on 1 January 1947. Fort Augustus station opened on 22 July 1904.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

'Yankee' tank and train at Fort Augustus Station, 1903

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1900s

Highland Railway; HR; railways;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

A 'Yankee' tank, No. 52, and a train of white and green coaches at Fort Augustus. <br /> <br /> The 'Yankee' tanks were originally designed for a railway in Uruguay but were not delivered. They were bought by the Highland Railway in 1892. This locomotive was originally No. 15 'Fortrose' but was renumbered 52 in December 1900.<br /> <br /> The Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway ran from Spean Bridge to Fort Augustus, via Invergarry. It was built by an independent company and was never part of the Highland Railway although the HR did operate the line between July 1903 and May 1907. <br /> <br /> The line closed temporarily on 31 October 1911 and reopened on 1 August 1913. It closed to passengers on 1 December 1933 and finally to goods on 1 January 1947. Fort Augustus station opened on 22 July 1904.