Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
No.48 on opening day special at Fort Augustus
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_572
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
DATE OF IMAGE
22 July 1903
PERIOD
1900s
CREATOR
A G Ellis
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27289
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
No.48 on opening day special at Fort Augustus

No. 48 on the opening day special at Fort Augustus on 22 July 1903.

The Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway ran from Spean Bridge to Fort Augustus, via Invergarry. It was built by an independent company and was never part of the Highland Railway although the HR did operate the line between July 1903 and May 1907.

The line closed temporarily on 31 October 1911 and reopened on 1 August 1913. It closed to passengers on 1 December 1933 and finally to goods on 1 January 1947. Fort Augustus station opened on 22 July 1904.

The locomotive is a 'Skye Bogie'. She was introduced in December 1901, became LMS 14285 before being withdrawn in October 1928.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

No.48 on opening day special at Fort Augustus

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1900s

Highland Railway; HR; railways;

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

No. 48 on the opening day special at Fort Augustus on 22 July 1903.<br /> <br /> The Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway ran from Spean Bridge to Fort Augustus, via Invergarry. It was built by an independent company and was never part of the Highland Railway although the HR did operate the line between July 1903 and May 1907.<br /> <br /> The line closed temporarily on 31 October 1911 and reopened on 1 August 1913. It closed to passengers on 1 December 1933 and finally to goods on 1 January 1947. Fort Augustus station opened on 22 July 1904. <br /> <br /> The locomotive is a 'Skye Bogie'. She was introduced in December 1901, became LMS 14285 before being withdrawn in October 1928.