Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
ex-Caledonian Railway 0-4-4T 15199 with train at Fort George, 1935
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_576
PLACENAME
Fort George
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Ardersier
DATE OF IMAGE
25 September 1935
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
Harold D. Bowtell
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27292
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
ex-Caledonian Railway 0-4-4T 15199 with train at Fort George, 1935

Fort George with ex-Caledonian Railway 0-4-4T 15199 standing in the platform with a train.

After the Highland Railway tank engines had been withdrawn the LMS found replacements from the former Caledonian Railway (CR). 15199, a CR Class '439' 0-4-4T, was built in November 1909 as CR No. 456, becoming LMS No. 15199 as shown. She survived into British Railways' ownership as their 55199 and was finally withdrawn in July 1961.

Fort George was at the end of a short (2.5 km) branch line north from the Inverness - Nairn line. It opened on 1 July 1899 and closed to passengers on 5 April 1943 Goods and occasional military specials continued until 11 August 1958.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

ex-Caledonian Railway 0-4-4T 15199 with train at Fort George, 1935

INVERNESS: Ardersier

1930s

Highland Railway; HR; railways

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Fort George with ex-Caledonian Railway 0-4-4T 15199 standing in the platform with a train.<br /> <br /> After the Highland Railway tank engines had been withdrawn the LMS found replacements from the former Caledonian Railway (CR). 15199, a CR Class '439' 0-4-4T, was built in November 1909 as CR No. 456, becoming LMS No. 15199 as shown. She survived into British Railways' ownership as their 55199 and was finally withdrawn in July 1961.<br /> <br /> Fort George was at the end of a short (2.5 km) branch line north from the Inverness - Nairn line. It opened on 1 July 1899 and closed to passengers on 5 April 1943 Goods and occasional military specials continued until 11 August 1958.