Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
14397 at Fortrose, 1947
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_596
PLACENAME
Fortrose
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
DATE OF IMAGE
17 June 1947
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27311
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
14397 at Fortrose, 1947

Fortrose loco shed and facilities with 14397 'Ben-y-Gloe' in the foreground.

'Ben-y-Gloe' was a member of the 4-4-0 'Small Ben' Class. She was built in July 1898 as HR No. 1 'Ben Nevis' but was renamed 'Ben-y-Gloe' within a month. After the grouping she became LMS 14397 and then BR 54397 before being withdrawn in February 1949.

Fortrose station opened on 1 February 1894 and was the terminus of the 22 km Black Isle Line from Muir of Ord. It closed to passengers on 1 October 1951 and to goods services on 13 June 1960.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

14397 at Fortrose, 1947

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1940s

Highland Railway; HR; railways;

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Fortrose loco shed and facilities with 14397 'Ben-y-Gloe' in the foreground. <br /> <br /> 'Ben-y-Gloe' was a member of the 4-4-0 'Small Ben' Class. She was built in July 1898 as HR No. 1 'Ben Nevis' but was renamed 'Ben-y-Gloe' within a month. After the grouping she became LMS 14397 and then BR 54397 before being withdrawn in February 1949.<br /> <br /> Fortrose station opened on 1 February 1894 and was the terminus of the 22 km Black Isle Line from Muir of Ord. It closed to passengers on 1 October 1951 and to goods services on 13 June 1960.