Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Signal box and a Class 26 diesel at Georgemas Junction
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_625
PLACENAME
Georgemas
DISTRICT
Caithness - Western
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Halkirk
DATE OF IMAGE
c.1976
PERIOD
c1970s
CREATOR
A Kennedy
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27339
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
HRS
Signal box and a Class 26 diesel at Georgemas Junction

Georgemas Junction showing the signal box and a stationary Sulzer Class 24 diesel locomotive on the branch platform.

The Class 24 diesel locomotives were introduced in 1958 and were for many years a common sight on trains running north from Inverness. The last one was retired in 1987 .

Georgemas Junction is where the Thurso Branch leaves the northern main line to Wick. The station opened on 28 July 1874, it closed to goods in January 1984 but it is still open to passengers.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Signal box and a Class 26 diesel at Georgemas Junction

CAITHNESS: Halkirk

c1970s

Highland Railway; HR; railways;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Georgemas Junction showing the signal box and a stationary Sulzer Class 24 diesel locomotive on the branch platform.<br /> <br /> The Class 24 diesel locomotives were introduced in 1958 and were for many years a common sight on trains running north from Inverness. The last one was retired in 1987 .<br /> <br /> Georgemas Junction is where the Thurso Branch leaves the northern main line to Wick. The station opened on 28 July 1874, it closed to goods in January 1984 but it is still open to passengers.