Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Class 25 on main-line train at Georgemas Junction
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_649
PLACENAME
Georgemas
DISTRICT
Caithness - Western
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Halkirk
DATE OF IMAGE
July 1962
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
Roger Holmes R0498
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27363
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
railways
HRS
Class 25 on main-line train at Georgemas Junction

The class 25 locomotive on the left is approachng Georgemas from the south whilst on the right a train is waiting to be taken along the branch to Thurso. A class 26 loco is also visible.

Georgemas Junction is where the Thurso Branch leaves the northern main line to Wick. The station opened 28 July 1874, it closed to goods in January 1984 but it is still open to passengers.

The Class 25s were introduced from 1961 and had all gone by 1987. 20 have been saved for preservation, the Caledonian Railway Diesel Group have got two. The Class 26 diesel locomotives were introduced in 1958 and had gone by 1987, for many years they were a common sight on trains running north from Inverness.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Class 25 on main-line train at Georgemas Junction

CAITHNESS: Halkirk

1960s

Highland Railway; HR; railways;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

The class 25 locomotive on the left is approachng Georgemas from the south whilst on the right a train is waiting to be taken along the branch to Thurso. A class 26 loco is also visible.<br /> <br /> Georgemas Junction is where the Thurso Branch leaves the northern main line to Wick. The station opened 28 July 1874, it closed to goods in January 1984 but it is still open to passengers. <br /> <br /> The Class 25s were introduced from 1961 and had all gone by 1987. 20 have been saved for preservation, the Caledonian Railway Diesel Group have got two. The Class 26 diesel locomotives were introduced in 1958 and had gone by 1987, for many years they were a common sight on trains running north from Inverness.