Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
54495 on train at Helmsdale, 1961
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_698
PLACENAME
Helmsdale
DISTRICT
Kildonan, Loth and Clyne
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Kildonan
DATE OF IMAGE
18 April 1961
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
Joanes Publications
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27409
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
station

HRS
54495 on train at Helmsdale, 1961

Helmsdale station with a very clean looking No.54495 on train. The curved roof on the left is the rear of the engine shed.

54495 is an ex- Caledonian Railway Class 72 4-4-0. She was built in June 1921 as CR No.91, becoming LMS No. 14495 before being renumbered by BR. She was based in Inverness at the time of her withdrawal in October 1959.

Helmsdale was opened on 15 May 1871 and was the Highland Railway's northern terminus for three years until the line was extended in July 1874. Although the station is still open it lost its goods facilities in January 1984.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

54495 on train at Helmsdale, 1961

SUTHERLAND: Kildonan

1960s

Highland Railway; HR; station; ; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Helmsdale station with a very clean looking No.54495 on train. The curved roof on the left is the rear of the engine shed.<br /> <br /> 54495 is an ex- Caledonian Railway Class 72 4-4-0. She was built in June 1921 as CR No.91, becoming LMS No. 14495 before being renumbered by BR. She was based in Inverness at the time of her withdrawal in October 1959.<br /> <br /> Helmsdale was opened on 15 May 1871 and was the Highland Railway's northern terminus for three years until the line was extended in July 1874. Although the station is still open it lost its goods facilities in January 1984.