Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Early view of Helmsdale station with the town beyond
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_708
PLACENAME
Helmsdale
DISTRICT
Kildonan, Loth and Clyne
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Kildonan
CREATOR
G W Wilson F4254
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27419
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
station
HRS
Early view of Helmsdale station with the town beyond

A very early view of Helmsdale station with the town beyond. The photograph repays careful study. The engine shed has a peaked roof, as opposed to the rounded roof shown on later photographs. There is no sign of a second platform, nor even of the road overbridge on the south side of the station. The locomotives are indistinct but both are hauling trains of four 4-wheel coaches. In the distance four fishing boats are in the harbour in full sail.

Helmsdale was opened on 15 May 1871 and was the Highland Railway's northern terminus for three years until the line was extended in July 1874. Although the station is still open it lost its goods facilities in January 1984.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Early view of Helmsdale station with the town beyond

SUTHERLAND: Kildonan

Highland Railway; HR; station;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

A very early view of Helmsdale station with the town beyond. The photograph repays careful study. The engine shed has a peaked roof, as opposed to the rounded roof shown on later photographs. There is no sign of a second platform, nor even of the road overbridge on the south side of the station. The locomotives are indistinct but both are hauling trains of four 4-wheel coaches. In the distance four fishing boats are in the harbour in full sail.<br /> <br /> Helmsdale was opened on 15 May 1871 and was the Highland Railway's northern terminus for three years until the line was extended in July 1874. Although the station is still open it lost its goods facilities in January 1984.