Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loco shed at Helmsdale with two 0-6-0PTs
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_715
PLACENAME
Helmsdale
DISTRICT
Kildonan, Loth and Clyne
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Kildonan
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27426
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
station
pannier
Loco shed at Helmsdale with two 0-6-0PTs

Helmsdale loco shed with two 0-6-0PTs outside showing the down platform and water crane.

The Dornoch Light Railway ran between The Mound and Dornoch. It was a demanding line with tight curves and could only be worked by small engines. In 1957 the regular branch engine broke an axle and was beyond economic repair. British Railways transferred two ex-Western Railway 16XX locomotives, 1646 and 1649, to Scotland to work the branch. They were both scrapped from Helmsdale in December 1962 when they were not twelve years old.

Helmsdale was opened on 15 May 1871 and was the Highland Railway's northern terminus for three years until the line was extended in July 1874. Although the station is still open it lost its goods facilities in January 1984.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loco shed at Helmsdale with two 0-6-0PTs

SUTHERLAND: Kildonan

Highland Railway; HR; station; pannier

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Helmsdale loco shed with two 0-6-0PTs outside showing the down platform and water crane.<br /> <br /> The Dornoch Light Railway ran between The Mound and Dornoch. It was a demanding line with tight curves and could only be worked by small engines. In 1957 the regular branch engine broke an axle and was beyond economic repair. British Railways transferred two ex-Western Railway 16XX locomotives, 1646 and 1649, to Scotland to work the branch. They were both scrapped from Helmsdale in December 1962 when they were not twelve years old.<br /> <br /> Helmsdale was opened on 15 May 1871 and was the Highland Railway's northern terminus for three years until the line was extended in July 1874. Although the station is still open it lost its goods facilities in January 1984.