Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
'Yankee Tank' 15014 on passenger train at Hopeman, 1926
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_718
PLACENAME
Hopeman
DATE OF IMAGE
7 October 1926
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
A G Ellis
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27429
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
station
steam
'Yankee Tank' 15014 on passenger train at Hopeman, 1926

'Yankee Tank' 15014 on a passenger train at Hopeman.

The locomotive was built September 1892 as HR No.102 and was named 'Munlochy' in 1910. She became 15014 under LMS ownership and was withdrawn in December 1934. These locomotives were designed and built for the Uruguay Eastern Railway but delivery was never accepted; hence the nickname 'Yankee'.

Hopeman was at the end of a 7 mile (11km) branch of the Keith to Inverness line and was originally opened on 10 October 1892. As a wartime economy it closed to all traffic on 1 January 1917 (although a restricted service for scholars was introduced a week later) The station reopened on 2 June 1919 before finally closing on 14 September 1931 although goods services were retained until 30 December 1957.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

'Yankee Tank' 15014 on passenger train at Hopeman, 1926

1920s

Highland Railway; HR; station; steam;

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

'Yankee Tank' 15014 on a passenger train at Hopeman.<br /> <br /> The locomotive was built September 1892 as HR No.102 and was named 'Munlochy' in 1910. She became 15014 under LMS ownership and was withdrawn in December 1934. These locomotives were designed and built for the Uruguay Eastern Railway but delivery was never accepted; hence the nickname 'Yankee'.<br /> <br /> Hopeman was at the end of a 7 mile (11km) branch of the Keith to Inverness line and was originally opened on 10 October 1892. As a wartime economy it closed to all traffic on 1 January 1917 (although a restricted service for scholars was introduced a week later) The station reopened on 2 June 1919 before finally closing on 14 September 1931 although goods services were retained until 30 December 1957.