Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
14684 'Duncraig Castle' shunting at Inverness, 1937
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_736
PLACENAME
Inverness
DATE OF IMAGE
5 August 1937
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
L Hanson, 1164
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27447
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
signal cabin, steam engine

HRS
14684 'Duncraig Castle' shunting at Inverness, 1937

View from above Welsh's Bridge Signal Box, looking over yard with. 14684 'Duncraig Castle' shunting.

'Duncraig Castle' was built in July 1902 as HR No.149 became LMS No. 14684 on grouping. She was withdrawn in January 1940. Note the 8-wheel tender (and the man standing on it!).

The locomotive is standing roughly where, at the time of writing (2009) Morrisons Petrol Station now is and the open country beyond is now the Longmans Industrial Estate.
The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

14684 'Duncraig Castle' shunting at Inverness, 1937

1930s

Highland Railway; HR; signal cabin, steam engine; ; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

View from above Welsh's Bridge Signal Box, looking over yard with. 14684 'Duncraig Castle' shunting.<br /> <br /> 'Duncraig Castle' was built in July 1902 as HR No.149 became LMS No. 14684 on grouping. She was withdrawn in January 1940. Note the 8-wheel tender (and the man standing on it!).<br /> <br /> The locomotive is standing roughly where, at the time of writing (2009) Morrisons Petrol Station now is and the open country beyond is now the Longmans Industrial Estate.<br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.