Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
CR 14434 from the end of platforms 1 & 2 at Inverness, 1945
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_737
PLACENAME
Inverness
DATE OF IMAGE
July 1945
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
J L Stevenson
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27448
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
signal cabin, steam engine
CR 14434 from the end of platforms 1 & 2 at Inverness, 1945

A 1945 view from the end of platforms 1 and 2 at Inverness Station showing 'Loco Box' signal box and ex-Caledonian Railway 4-4-0 14434.

The locomotive was built by the Caledonian Railway in June 1900, a member of the 'Dunalstair III Class 900' of 4-4-0s. Under the Caledonian she was No.894 and became No.14434 under the LMS. She was allocated the BR No.54434 but never carried it. She was officially withdrawn in April 1948 and cut up in Inverness in June of that year. She was the last Dunalstair III to be withdrawn.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

CR 14434 from the end of platforms 1 & 2 at Inverness, 1945

1940s

Highland Railway; HR; signal cabin, steam engine;

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

A 1945 view from the end of platforms 1 and 2 at Inverness Station showing 'Loco Box' signal box and ex-Caledonian Railway 4-4-0 14434.<br /> <br /> The locomotive was built by the Caledonian Railway in June 1900, a member of the 'Dunalstair III Class 900' of 4-4-0s. Under the Caledonian she was No.894 and became No.14434 under the LMS. She was allocated the BR No.54434 but never carried it. She was officially withdrawn in April 1948 and cut up in Inverness in June of that year. She was the last Dunalstair III to be withdrawn.<br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.