Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR No. 47 'Ben a' Bhuird' at Inverness, 1908
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_738
PLACENAME
Inverness
DATE OF IMAGE
6 September 1908
PERIOD
1900s
CREATOR
A G Ellis
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27449
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
steam engine
express
HRS
HR No. 47 'Ben a' Bhuird' at Inverness, 1908

Overhead view of Inverness Station from beyond end of south platforms.

A double-headed southbound passenger train is signalled to leave Platform 2 while No.47 'Ben a' Bhuird' is standing in Platform 1 with a train of 4-wheel coaches. A 'Lochgorm Tank' can be seen shunting in Platform 3.

'Ben a' Bhuird' was a 'Small Ben' class locomotive built in July 1906 as HR No,47. She became LMS No.14416 at the time of grouping in 1921 and was withdrawn in September 1948.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR No. 47 'Ben a' Bhuird' at Inverness, 1908

1900s

Highland Railway; HR; steam engine; express;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Overhead view of Inverness Station from beyond end of south platforms. <br /> <br /> A double-headed southbound passenger train is signalled to leave Platform 2 while No.47 'Ben a' Bhuird' is standing in Platform 1 with a train of 4-wheel coaches. A 'Lochgorm Tank' can be seen shunting in Platform 3.<br /> <br /> 'Ben a' Bhuird' was a 'Small Ben' class locomotive built in July 1906 as HR No,47. She became LMS No.14416 at the time of grouping in 1921 and was withdrawn in September 1948.<br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.