Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR No.12 'Belladrum' on a turntable at Inverness Station
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_744
PLACENAME
Inverness
PERIOD
1870s; 1880s
CREATOR
RP 14445
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27454
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
steam
HR No.12 'Belladrum' on a turntable at Inverness Station

A very early view of Inverness roundhouse with No.12 'Belladrum' on the original wood-decked turntable.

A roundhouse is an engine shed laid out as an arc, with all tracks leading from a central turntable. With 31 stalls Inverness was a particularly fine example.

'Belladrum' was one of two 2-2-2 locomotives built for the opening of the Inverness & Ross-shire Railway in May 1862. In September 1871 she was rebuilt into a tank engine, renamed 'Breadalbane' and put to work on the Aberfeldy branch. In 1885 she was overhauled and renamed again as 'Strathpeffer' as she became the Strathpeffer branch engine. During all these changes of identity she retained the No.12 until being withdrawn in September 1898.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR No.12 'Belladrum' on a turntable at Inverness Station

1870s; 1880s

Highland Railway; HR; steam;

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

A very early view of Inverness roundhouse with No.12 'Belladrum' on the original wood-decked turntable.<br /> <br /> A roundhouse is an engine shed laid out as an arc, with all tracks leading from a central turntable. With 31 stalls Inverness was a particularly fine example.<br /> <br /> 'Belladrum' was one of two 2-2-2 locomotives built for the opening of the Inverness & Ross-shire Railway in May 1862. In September 1871 she was rebuilt into a tank engine, renamed 'Breadalbane' and put to work on the Aberfeldy branch. In 1885 she was overhauled and renamed again as 'Strathpeffer' as she became the Strathpeffer branch engine. During all these changes of identity she retained the No.12 until being withdrawn in September 1898.<br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.