Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR No.146 'Skibo Castle' at Inverness Station
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_750
PLACENAME
Inverness
PERIOD
1900s; 1910s
CREATOR
LGRP 7876
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27459
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
steam engine

HRS
HR No.146 'Skibo Castle' at Inverness Station

HR No.146 'Skibo Castle' on a mixed train in the south platform.

The locomotive is one of the 'Castle' Class of 4-6-0 express passenger engines. She was built in July 1902 and went on to carry the LMS No.14681 before being withdrawn in October 1946.

The 'Engine Following' plate over the left-hand buffer was to advise signalmen and other railway workers that the train was being followed by another trail, a special or duplicate not shown in the working timetable.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR No.146 'Skibo Castle' at Inverness Station

1900s; 1910s

Highland Railway; HR; steam engine; ; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

HR No.146 'Skibo Castle' on a mixed train in the south platform.<br /> <br /> The locomotive is one of the 'Castle' Class of 4-6-0 express passenger engines. She was built in July 1902 and went on to carry the LMS No.14681 before being withdrawn in October 1946.<br /> <br /> The 'Engine Following' plate over the left-hand buffer was to advise signalmen and other railway workers that the train was being followed by another trail, a special or duplicate not shown in the working timetable.<br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.