Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR No.103 at the entrance to the roundhouse at Inverness, 1962
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_753
PLACENAME
Inverness
DATE OF IMAGE
16 June 1962
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
Joanes Publications
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27462
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
steam engine
World War II
Second World War
HRS
HR No.103 at the entrance to the roundhouse at Inverness, 1962

Preserved Jones' 'Big Goods' locomotive No.103 posed at the entrance to Inverness roundhouse.

The 'Big Goods' were designed by David Jones, the HR's Locomotive Superintendent. They were the first British locomotive with the 4-6-0 wheel arrangement and at the time of their introduction they were the heaviest and most powerful locomotives in the country. No.103 was built in September 1894. She became LMS No.17916 and was withdrawn in July 1934.

Fortunately, because of the significance of the Class, No.103 was set aside by the LMS and she was repainted in 1935-36. She escaped further mishap during World War II and was fully restored in 1959. She was used to haul special trains, particularly for the TV programme 'Railway Roundabout' and for the HR Centenary celebrations. She was then "retired" and at the time of writing (2009) is currently on display at the Glasgow Museum of Transport.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR No.103 at the entrance to the roundhouse at Inverness, 1962

1960s

Highland Railway; HR; steam engine; World War II; Second World War; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Preserved Jones' 'Big Goods' locomotive No.103 posed at the entrance to Inverness roundhouse.<br /> <br /> The 'Big Goods' were designed by David Jones, the HR's Locomotive Superintendent. They were the first British locomotive with the 4-6-0 wheel arrangement and at the time of their introduction they were the heaviest and most powerful locomotives in the country. No.103 was built in September 1894. She became LMS No.17916 and was withdrawn in July 1934.<br /> <br /> Fortunately, because of the significance of the Class, No.103 was set aside by the LMS and she was repainted in 1935-36. She escaped further mishap during World War II and was fully restored in 1959. She was used to haul special trains, particularly for the TV programme 'Railway Roundabout' and for the HR Centenary celebrations. She was then "retired" and at the time of writing (2009) is currently on display at the Glasgow Museum of Transport. <br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.