Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
5048 & 5361 heading southbound past the yard at Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_756
PLACENAME
Inverness
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27465
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
steam engine
HRS
5048 & 5361 heading southbound past the yard at Inverness

Black 5s 5048 and 5361 making plenty of steam as they head a southbound passenger train past the goods yard at Inverness.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

Both locomotives are LMS 'Black 5' 4-6-0s; 5048 was built in October 1935, she became No. 45048 under British Railways and was withdrawn in February 1968, 5361 was built in May 1937, becoming BR No, 45361 and was withdrawn in June 1964.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

5048 & 5361 heading southbound past the yard at Inverness

1930s; 1940s

Highland Railway; HR; steam engine;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Black 5s 5048 and 5361 making plenty of steam as they head a southbound passenger train past the goods yard at Inverness.<br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.<br /> <br /> Both locomotives are LMS 'Black 5' 4-6-0s; 5048 was built in October 1935, she became No. 45048 under British Railways and was withdrawn in February 1968, 5361 was built in May 1937, becoming BR No, 45361 and was withdrawn in June 1964.