Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
14762 & 14763 heading a northbound train at Rose Street
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_758
PLACENAME
Inverness
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s; 1940s
CREATOR
A G Ellis
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27467
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
steam engine

14762 & 14763 heading a northbound train at Rose Street

14762 and 14763 double-heading a northbound train at Rose Street, Inverness.

The 'Clans' were the last locomotives built for the Highland Railway designed primarily for working between Perth and Inverness. The photograph shows two - 'Clan Campbell' and 'Clan Fraser'. 'Clan Campbell was the first of the class, built April 1902 as HR No.49, becoming LMS no.14762 and withdrawn in June 1947. 'Clan Fraser', HR No.51, was also built in April 1902, becoming LMS No.14763, but she was withdrawn earlier, in August 1944.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

14762 & 14763 heading a northbound train at Rose Street

1920s; 1930s; 1940s

Highland Railway; HR; steam engine;

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

14762 and 14763 double-heading a northbound train at Rose Street, Inverness.<br /> <br /> The 'Clans' were the last locomotives built for the Highland Railway designed primarily for working between Perth and Inverness. The photograph shows two - 'Clan Campbell' and 'Clan Fraser'. 'Clan Campbell was the first of the class, built April 1902 as HR No.49, becoming LMS no.14762 and withdrawn in June 1947. 'Clan Fraser', HR No.51, was also built in April 1902, becoming LMS No.14763, but she was withdrawn earlier, in August 1944.<br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.