Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
ex-CR 55198 taking water by Rose Street Box, 1961
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_761
PLACENAME
Inverness
DATE OF IMAGE
1 March 1961
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
N Forrest 69/4
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27470
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
steam engine
CR
HRS
ex-CR 55198 taking water by Rose Street Box, 1961

Shortly before being withdrawn ex-Caledonian Railway 0-4-4T No. 55198 taking water by Rose St signal box.

55198 was built by the Caledonian Railway in November 1909, a member of the '439' Class of 0-4-4T locomotives. Under the CR she carried the number 426, becoming 15198 under the LMS and finally 55198 under BR. She was withdrawn in May 1961.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

ex-CR 55198 taking water by Rose Street Box, 1961

1960s

Highland Railway; HR; steam engine; CR;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Shortly before being withdrawn ex-Caledonian Railway 0-4-4T No. 55198 taking water by Rose St signal box.<br /> <br /> 55198 was built by the Caledonian Railway in November 1909, a member of the '439' Class of 0-4-4T locomotives. Under the CR she carried the number 426, becoming 15198 under the LMS and finally 55198 under BR. She was withdrawn in May 1961.<br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.