Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Locomotives in Inverness Roundhouse, 1960
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_762
PLACENAME
Inverness
DATE OF IMAGE
14 August 1960
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
AT H Edwards
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27471
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
steam engine
CR
Caledonian Railway
HRS
Locomotives in Inverness Roundhouse, 1960

Inverness roundhouse with Class 24 and Class 20 diesels and ex-CR 0-4-4Ts 55236 and 55199.

A roundhouse is an engine shed laid out as an arc, with all tracks leading from a central turntable. With 31 stalls Inverness was a particularly fine example.

The two steam locomotives are both ex-CR '439 Class 0-4-4Ts. The one nearer the camera was built in November 1909 as No. 456 before becoming LMS No.15199 and then BR Mo. 55199. She was withdrawn in July 1961.

Although of the same class the other locomotive was built much later, in November 1922 as CR No.436. She became LMS No.15236 and then BR No.55236, but survived for a few more months, being withdrawn in September 1961. Following the demise of steam the Type 2s (which later became known as the 'Class 24' and 'Class 26') became the mainstay of services over Highland lines.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Locomotives in Inverness Roundhouse, 1960

1960s

Highland Railway; HR; steam engine; CR; Caledonian Railway;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Inverness roundhouse with Class 24 and Class 20 diesels and ex-CR 0-4-4Ts 55236 and 55199.<br /> <br /> A roundhouse is an engine shed laid out as an arc, with all tracks leading from a central turntable. With 31 stalls Inverness was a particularly fine example.<br /> <br /> The two steam locomotives are both ex-CR '439 Class 0-4-4Ts. The one nearer the camera was built in November 1909 as No. 456 before becoming LMS No.15199 and then BR Mo. 55199. She was withdrawn in July 1961. <br /> <br /> Although of the same class the other locomotive was built much later, in November 1922 as CR No.436. She became LMS No.15236 and then BR No.55236, but survived for a few more months, being withdrawn in September 1961. Following the demise of steam the Type 2s (which later became known as the 'Class 24' and 'Class 26') became the mainstay of services over Highland lines.<br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.