Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Diesel Locomotives in Inverness Roundhouse, 1960
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_763
PLACENAME
Inverness
DATE OF IMAGE
14 August 1960
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
AT H Edwards
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27472
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR

HRS
Diesel Locomotives in Inverness Roundhouse, 1960

Inverness Roundhouse, with Class 24 Type 2 diesels, an 06 diesel shunter and a couple of ex-LMS 'Black 5's.

A roundhouse is an engine shed laid out as an arc, with all tracks leading from a central turntable. With 31 stalls Inverness was a particularly fine example.

Under both the LMS and BR the Stanier 'Black 5s' were the mainstay of services over the Highland lines. With the demise of steam this role was taken over by the Type 2s which later became known as the 'Class 24' and 'Class 26'. The 06 Class shunter was built by BR specifically for the Scottish region.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Diesel Locomotives in Inverness Roundhouse, 1960

1960s

Highland Railway; HR; ; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Inverness Roundhouse, with Class 24 Type 2 diesels, an 06 diesel shunter and a couple of ex-LMS 'Black 5's.<br /> <br /> A roundhouse is an engine shed laid out as an arc, with all tracks leading from a central turntable. With 31 stalls Inverness was a particularly fine example.<br /> <br /> Under both the LMS and BR the Stanier 'Black 5s' were the mainstay of services over the Highland lines. With the demise of steam this role was taken over by the Type 2s which later became known as the 'Class 24' and 'Class 26'. The 06 Class shunter was built by BR specifically for the Scottish region.<br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.