Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Steam Locomotives in roundhouse at Inverness, 1960
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_773
PLACENAME
Inverness
DATE OF IMAGE
15 June 1960
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
H C Casserley 96952
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27481
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
steam engine
CR
HRS
Steam Locomotives in roundhouse at Inverness, 1960

A variety of locomotives in Inverness roundhouse including 'Black 5s', an ex-CR 0-4-4-T and the restored HR 'Big Goods' No. 103.

Under both the LMS and BR the Stanier 'Black 5s' were the mainstay of services over the Highland lines. HR No.103 was fully restored in 1959 and was used to haul special trains, particularly for the TV programme 'Railway Roundabout' and for the HR Centenary celebrations. At the time of writing (2009) she is currently on display at the Glasgow Museum of Transport.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Steam Locomotives in roundhouse at Inverness, 1960

1960s

Highland Railway; HR; steam engine; CR;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

A variety of locomotives in Inverness roundhouse including 'Black 5s', an ex-CR 0-4-4-T and the restored HR 'Big Goods' No. 103. <br /> <br /> Under both the LMS and BR the Stanier 'Black 5s' were the mainstay of services over the Highland lines. HR No.103 was fully restored in 1959 and was used to haul special trains, particularly for the TV programme 'Railway Roundabout' and for the HR Centenary celebrations. At the time of writing (2009) she is currently on display at the Glasgow Museum of Transport.<br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.