Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
An ex-CR 4-4-0 and a Black 5 in Inverness Roundhouse, 1949
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_774
PLACENAME
Inverness
DATE OF IMAGE
15 June 1949
PERIOD
1940s
CREATOR
H C Casserley 57512
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27482
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
steam engine
CR
HRS
An ex-CR 4-4-0 and a Black 5 in Inverness Roundhouse, 1949

An ex-Caledonian Railway 4-4-0 and an ex-LMS Black 5 in steam in Inverness Roundhouse.

The nearer locomotive is an ex-Caledonian Railway '72 Class' 4-4-0. She was built in May 1918 as CR No.931, became LMS No.15470 and finally BR No,55470. She was withdrawn in December 1959 and cut up at Inverness Works the following year. Under both the LMS and BR the Stanier 'Black 5s' were the mainstay of services over the Highland lines.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

An ex-CR 4-4-0 and a Black 5 in Inverness Roundhouse, 1949

1940s

Highland Railway; HR; steam engine; CR;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

An ex-Caledonian Railway 4-4-0 and an ex-LMS Black 5 in steam in Inverness Roundhouse.<br /> <br /> The nearer locomotive is an ex-Caledonian Railway '72 Class' 4-4-0. She was built in May 1918 as CR No.931, became LMS No.15470 and finally BR No,55470. She was withdrawn in December 1959 and cut up at Inverness Works the following year. Under both the LMS and BR the Stanier 'Black 5s' were the mainstay of services over the Highland lines.<br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.