Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Welsh's Bridge signal box with 17956 and 14416
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_795
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
2 September 1938
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
W S Young
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27503
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
steam engine
HRS
Welsh's Bridge signal box with 17956 and 14416

Welsh's Bridge signal box with 14416 (front) and 17956, in LMS days.

14416 is an ex-Highland Railway 'Small Ben' Class 4-4-0. She was built by the North British Locomotive Company for the Highland Railway in July 1906. She was allocated the BR No 54416 but never carried it as she was scrapped at Lochgorm Works circa 1948. The other locomotive is a 'Clan Goods'. She was built by Hawthorne Leslie for the HR in April 1918 as 75, becoming 17956 under the LMS and then 57956 under BR, she was withdrawn in April 1950.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Welsh's Bridge signal box with 17956 and 14416

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1930s

Highland Railway; HR; steam engine;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Welsh's Bridge signal box with 14416 (front) and 17956, in LMS days.<br /> <br /> 14416 is an ex-Highland Railway 'Small Ben' Class 4-4-0. She was built by the North British Locomotive Company for the Highland Railway in July 1906. She was allocated the BR No 54416 but never carried it as she was scrapped at Lochgorm Works circa 1948. The other locomotive is a 'Clan Goods'. She was built by Hawthorne Leslie for the HR in April 1918 as 75, becoming 17956 under the LMS and then 57956 under BR, she was withdrawn in April 1950.<br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.