Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
No. 103 on the 9.00am special departure for Perth
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_803
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
15 June 1960
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
Harold D. Bowtell
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27511
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
steam engine
SLS
HRS
No. 103 on the 9.00am special departure for Perth

No.103 Preserved Jones' 'Big Goods' No.103 in charge of a 9.00am special departure for Perth.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

The 'Big Goods' were designed by David Jones, the HR's Locomotive Superintendent. They were the first British locomotive with the 4-6-0 wheel arrangement and at the time of their introduction they were the heaviest and most powerful locomotives in the country. No.103 was built in September 1894. She became LMS No.17916 and was withdrawn in July 1934.

Fortunately, because of the significance of the Class, No.103 was set aside by the LMS and she was repainted in 1935-36. She escaped further mishap during World War II and was fully restored in 1959. She was used to haul special trains, particularly for the TV programme 'Railway Roundabout' and for the HR Centenary celebrations. She was then "retired" and at the time of writing (2009) is currently on display at the Glasgow Museum of Transport.

The photograph was taken during a Stevenson Locomotive Society railtour of the Highlands, which accounts for the number of single men with cameras milling about. The special train included two refurbished ex-Caledonian coaches which can be seen in some shots.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

No. 103 on the 9.00am special departure for Perth

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1960s

Highland Railway; HR; steam engine; SLS;; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

No.103 Preserved Jones' 'Big Goods' No.103 in charge of a 9.00am special departure for Perth. <br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.<br /> <br /> The 'Big Goods' were designed by David Jones, the HR's Locomotive Superintendent. They were the first British locomotive with the 4-6-0 wheel arrangement and at the time of their introduction they were the heaviest and most powerful locomotives in the country. No.103 was built in September 1894. She became LMS No.17916 and was withdrawn in July 1934.<br /> <br /> Fortunately, because of the significance of the Class, No.103 was set aside by the LMS and she was repainted in 1935-36. She escaped further mishap during World War II and was fully restored in 1959. She was used to haul special trains, particularly for the TV programme 'Railway Roundabout' and for the HR Centenary celebrations. She was then "retired" and at the time of writing (2009) is currently on display at the Glasgow Museum of Transport. <br /> <br /> The photograph was taken during a Stevenson Locomotive Society railtour of the Highlands, which accounts for the number of single men with cameras milling about. The special train included two refurbished ex-Caledonian coaches which can be seen in some shots.