Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Roundhouse with several locos including No.24
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_806
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1900s; 1910s; 1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27514
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR

HRS
Inverness Roundhouse with several locos including No.24

Inverness roundhouse in HR days with several different classes of locomotives in the stalls and 'Scrap Tank' no.24 in the foreground.

No.24, an 0-6-0 'Scrap Tank' was built in May 1904 utilising boilers and wheels from older scrapped locomotives, hence the name. She became LMS 16382 and was withdrawn in December 1930.

A roundhouse is an engine shed laid out as an arc, with all tracks leading from a central turntable. With 31 stalls Inverness was a particularly fine example.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Roundhouse with several locos including No.24

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1900s; 1910s; 1920s

Highland Railway; HR; ; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Inverness roundhouse in HR days with several different classes of locomotives in the stalls and 'Scrap Tank' no.24 in the foreground.<br /> <br /> No.24, an 0-6-0 'Scrap Tank' was built in May 1904 utilising boilers and wheels from older scrapped locomotives, hence the name. She became LMS 16382 and was withdrawn in December 1930.<br /> <br /> A roundhouse is an engine shed laid out as an arc, with all tracks leading from a central turntable. With 31 stalls Inverness was a particularly fine example.<br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.