Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Roundhouse with 14767 'Clan Mackinnon'
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_807
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
Harold D. Bowtell
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27515
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR

HRS
Inverness Roundhouse with 14767 'Clan Mackinnon'

Inverness roundhouse with No.14767 'Clan Mackinnon' to the fore.

Built in July 1921 'Clan Mackinnon' was HR No.55. She went on to become BR No.54767 she was the last survivor of her class, finally being withdrawn in January 1950.

A roundhouse is an engine shed laid out as an arc, with all tracks leading from a central turntable. With 31 stalls Inverness was a particularly fine example.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Roundhouse with 14767 'Clan Mackinnon'

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s; 1930s

Highland Railway; HR; ; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Inverness roundhouse with No.14767 'Clan Mackinnon' to the fore.<br /> <br /> Built in July 1921 'Clan Mackinnon' was HR No.55. She went on to become BR No.54767 she was the last survivor of her class, finally being withdrawn in January 1950.<br /> <br /> A roundhouse is an engine shed laid out as an arc, with all tracks leading from a central turntable. With 31 stalls Inverness was a particularly fine example.<br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.