Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ex-GSWR No.659
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_832
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
26 August 1923
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
A G Ellis
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27538
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway
HR
steam engine
Ex-GSWR No.659

No.659 0-4-0ST used as the shed shunter at Inverness between the wars.

The locomotives is a Glasgow and South Western Railway 'Class.658' 0-4-0ST, or 'Pug' (as all four wheeled saddle tanks were invariably known in Scotland.) She was built by Andrews Barr & Co in November 1881 as G&SWR No.659. Under the LMS she was allocated the number 16040 and transferred north to Inverness as the 'shed shunter' until she was withdrawn in October 1932.

The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ex-GSWR No.659

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s

Highland Railway; HR; steam engine;

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

No.659 0-4-0ST used as the shed shunter at Inverness between the wars.<br /> <br /> The locomotives is a Glasgow and South Western Railway 'Class.658' 0-4-0ST, or 'Pug' (as all four wheeled saddle tanks were invariably known in Scotland.) She was built by Andrews Barr & Co in November 1881 as G&SWR No.659. Under the LMS she was allocated the number 16040 and transferred north to Inverness as the 'shed shunter' until she was withdrawn in October 1932.<br /> <br /> The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen, west to Kyle of Lochalsh and north to Wick. It is still open.