Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
GNSR 49 on a rail tour at Keith, June 1960
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_855
PLACENAME
Keith
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE
DATE OF IMAGE
14 June 1960
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27560
KEYWORDS
railway stations
trains
locomotives
GNSR 49 on a rail tour at Keith, June 1960

This photograph shows GNSR 49 on a rail tour at Keith in June 1960.

Keith station, on the Inverness to Aberdeen line, was originally owned by the Highland Railway and was known as Keith Junction. It was here that the Highland Railway met the Great North of Scotland Railway. It opened in August 1858.

GNSR 49 was built in 1920 by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and was one of the last designs of Great North of Scotland Railway passenger locomotives. After the grouping it became LNER 2277.

Nicknamed 'The Soldier', it was withdrawn for preservation in 1958. It was used for steam excursions until June 1966 when it was placed in the Glasgow Transport Museum.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

GNSR 49 on a rail tour at Keith, June 1960

MORAYSHIRE

1960s

railway stations; trains; locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows GNSR 49 on a rail tour at Keith in June 1960.<br /> <br /> Keith station, on the Inverness to Aberdeen line, was originally owned by the Highland Railway and was known as Keith Junction. It was here that the Highland Railway met the Great North of Scotland Railway. It opened in August 1858.<br /> <br /> GNSR 49 was built in 1920 by the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow and was one of the last designs of Great North of Scotland Railway passenger locomotives. After the grouping it became LNER 2277.<br /> <br /> Nicknamed 'The Soldier', it was withdrawn for preservation in 1958. It was used for steam excursions until June 1966 when it was placed in the Glasgow Transport Museum.