Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Railway viaduct near Killiecrankie, May 1928
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_872
PLACENAME
Killiecrankie
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Blair Atholl
DATE OF IMAGE
15 May 1928
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27574
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
Railway viaduct near Killiecrankie, May 1928

A view of the railway viaduct near Killiecrankie in May 1928. The viaduct was built in 1863 by engineer Joseph Mitchell for what was then the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway. It carries the railway along the east side of the Pass of Killiecrankie.

Built at a cost of £5720, the 10-arched structure includes castellated towers at either end. The viaduct is 155.5 metres (510 feet) in length, 16.5 metres (54 feet) in height at its maximum. Each arch spans 10.6 metres (35 feet).

It was given listed building status (Grade B) in 1971 and underwent extensive repairs in the late 1990s.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Railway viaduct near Killiecrankie, May 1928

PERTH: Blair Atholl

1920s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

A view of the railway viaduct near Killiecrankie in May 1928. The viaduct was built in 1863 by engineer Joseph Mitchell for what was then the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway. It carries the railway along the east side of the Pass of Killiecrankie.<br /> <br /> Built at a cost of £5720, the 10-arched structure includes castellated towers at either end. The viaduct is 155.5 metres (510 feet) in length, 16.5 metres (54 feet) in height at its maximum. Each arch spans 10.6 metres (35 feet). <br /> <br /> It was given listed building status (Grade B) in 1971 and underwent extensive repairs in the late 1990s.