Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Mouth of the railway tunnel near Killiecrankie, 1912
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_876
PLACENAME
Killiecrankie
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Blair Atholl
DATE OF IMAGE
1912
PERIOD
1910s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27577
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
Mouth of the railway tunnel near Killiecrankie, 1912

A view of the mouth of the railway tunnel at the end of the Killiecrankie Viaduct, taken in 1912.

The Killiecrankie Viaduct was built in 1863 by engineer Joseph Mitchell for what was then the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway. It carries the railway along the east side of the Pass of Killiecrankie.

Built at a cost of £5720, the 10-arched structure includes castellated towers at either end. The viaduct is 155.5 metres (510 feet) in length, 16.5 metres (54 feet) in height at its maximum. Each arch spans 10.6 metres (35 feet).

It was given listed building status (Grade B) in 1971 and underwent extensive repairs in the late 1990s.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Mouth of the railway tunnel near Killiecrankie, 1912

PERTH: Blair Atholl

1910s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

A view of the mouth of the railway tunnel at the end of the Killiecrankie Viaduct, taken in 1912.<br /> <br /> The Killiecrankie Viaduct was built in 1863 by engineer Joseph Mitchell for what was then the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway. It carries the railway along the east side of the Pass of Killiecrankie.<br /> <br /> Built at a cost of £5720, the 10-arched structure includes castellated towers at either end. The viaduct is 155.5 metres (510 feet) in length, 16.5 metres (54 feet) in height at its maximum. Each arch spans 10.6 metres (35 feet). <br /> <br /> It was given listed building status (Grade B) in 1971 and underwent extensive repairs in the late 1990s.