Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kingussie Station
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_906
PLACENAME
Kingussie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27604
KEYWORDS
stations
railway stations
Kingussie Station

Kingussie Station was opened in 1863 by the Inverness & Perth Junction Railway and rebuilt by The Highland Railway in 1891.

The name Kingussie comes from the Gaelic for 'the head of the pinewood'. Once the capital of Badenoch, it was once a small settlement surrounded by a pine forest. In 1799 the Duke of Gordon decided that the parish needed a village and a plan was drawn up.

The planned village of Kingussie grew slowly until it was put on the main road from Inverness to Perth and Fort William by the bridging of the River Spey and the River Laggan at the beginning of the 19th century. Another boost to the village's growth came when outlying tenants were relocated to Kingussie to make way for sheep.

The railway arrived bringing more tourism in 1863 and an 18-hole golf course was opened in 1890.

Kingussie is closely associated with shinty and the Camanachd Association was formed in the village in 1893. The local shinty team, Kingussie Camanachd, entered the Guinness Book of Records as the most successful team in any sport

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kingussie Station

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

stations; railway stations

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

Kingussie Station was opened in 1863 by the Inverness & Perth Junction Railway and rebuilt by The Highland Railway in 1891. <br /> <br /> The name Kingussie comes from the Gaelic for 'the head of the pinewood'. Once the capital of Badenoch, it was once a small settlement surrounded by a pine forest. In 1799 the Duke of Gordon decided that the parish needed a village and a plan was drawn up. <br /> <br /> The planned village of Kingussie grew slowly until it was put on the main road from Inverness to Perth and Fort William by the bridging of the River Spey and the River Laggan at the beginning of the 19th century. Another boost to the village's growth came when outlying tenants were relocated to Kingussie to make way for sheep. <br /> <br /> The railway arrived bringing more tourism in 1863 and an 18-hole golf course was opened in 1890. <br /> <br /> Kingussie is closely associated with shinty and the Camanachd Association was formed in the village in 1893. The local shinty team, Kingussie Camanachd, entered the Guinness Book of Records as the most successful team in any sport