Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The first mail arrives at Kyle of Lochalsh, November 1897
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_921
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
2 November 1897
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27619
KEYWORDS
railway stations
locomotives
trains
The first mail arrives at Kyle of Lochalsh, November 1897

This photograph shows the first mail train arriving at Kyle of Lochalsh on 2 November 1897. The platform is busy with passengers, railway staff and interested onlookers. Ferry operator, David MacBrayne, ran a special boat from Portree to enable people from Skye to witness the celebrations.

Kyle of Lochalsh is the terminus of the Kyle line from Inverness. The station was opened in November 1897. Prior to this, the terminus had been at Stromeferry and the 10-mile extension was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken up to that time, costing £250,000.

The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Goods services in and out of Kyle ceased in August 1983.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The first mail arrives at Kyle of Lochalsh, November 1897

ROSS: Lochalsh

1890s

railway stations; locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the first mail train arriving at Kyle of Lochalsh on 2 November 1897. The platform is busy with passengers, railway staff and interested onlookers. Ferry operator, David MacBrayne, ran a special boat from Portree to enable people from Skye to witness the celebrations.<br /> <br /> Kyle of Lochalsh is the terminus of the Kyle line from Inverness. The station was opened in November 1897. Prior to this, the terminus had been at Stromeferry and the 10-mile extension was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken up to that time, costing £250,000. <br /> <br /> The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Goods services in and out of Kyle ceased in August 1983.