Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Party of dignitaries at the opening of Kyle of Lochalsh Station, November 1897
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_923
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
2 November 1897
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27621
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Party of dignitaries at the opening of Kyle of Lochalsh Station, November 1897

This photograph shows a party of dignitaries at the opening of Kyle of Lochalsh Station on 2 November 1897.

Kyle of Lochalsh is the terminus of the Kyle line from Inverness. Prior to this, the terminus had been at Stromeferry and the 10-mile extension was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken up to that time, costing £250,000.

The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Goods services in and out of Kyle ceased in August 1983.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Party of dignitaries at the opening of Kyle of Lochalsh Station, November 1897

ROSS: Lochalsh

1890s

railway stations

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows a party of dignitaries at the opening of Kyle of Lochalsh Station on 2 November 1897.<br /> <br /> Kyle of Lochalsh is the terminus of the Kyle line from Inverness. Prior to this, the terminus had been at Stromeferry and the 10-mile extension was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken up to that time, costing £250,000. <br /> <br /> The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Goods services in and out of Kyle ceased in August 1983.