Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 14279 shunting at Kyle, June 1927
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_943
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
20 June 1927
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27641
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
locomotives
trains
LMS 14279 shunting at Kyle, June 1927

This photograph shows LMS 14279 shunting at Kyle in June 1927.

The locomotive was one of Highland Railway's Skye Bogie Class which were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Originally numbered HR 86 it was completed in February 1893. It was renumbered twice: to 86A in April 1918 and back to 86 in September 1919. After the grouping it became LMS 14279 and continued in service until being withdrawn in October 1927.

Kyle of Lochalsh is the terminus of the Kyle line from Inverness. The station was opened in November 1897. Prior to this, the terminus had been at Stromeferry and the 10-mile extension was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken up to that time, costing £250,000.

The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Goods services in and out of Kyle ceased in August 1983.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 14279 shunting at Kyle, June 1927

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; locomotives; trains

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows LMS 14279 shunting at Kyle in June 1927.<br /> <br /> The locomotive was one of Highland Railway's Skye Bogie Class which were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Originally numbered HR 86 it was completed in February 1893. It was renumbered twice: to 86A in April 1918 and back to 86 in September 1919. After the grouping it became LMS 14279 and continued in service until being withdrawn in October 1927.<br /> <br /> Kyle of Lochalsh is the terminus of the Kyle line from Inverness. The station was opened in November 1897. Prior to this, the terminus had been at Stromeferry and the 10-mile extension was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken up to that time, costing £250,000. <br /> <br /> The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Goods services in and out of Kyle ceased in August 1983.