Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The jetty at Kyle from the ferry, May 1964
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_945
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
24 May 1964
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27643
KEYWORDS
railway stations
piers
jetties
ferries
hotels
The jetty at Kyle from the ferry, May 1964

A view of the jetty at Kyle from the ferry, taken in May 1964. The wooden-hulled MV Lochalsh is alongside.

The jetty was used for the small ferry boats crossing to Kyleakin on Skye, and to Glenelg. Kyle of Lochalsh has been the location of a ferry since the 17th century, but it was not until the extension of the railway to Kyle in 1897 that traffic using it increased rapidly. The Station Hotel in the background has also expanded over the years, changing its name in the process to the Lochalsh Hotel. The road and jetty were privately owned by the LMS - London Midland Scottish Railway Company.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The jetty at Kyle from the ferry, May 1964

ROSS: Lochalsh

1960s

railway stations; piers; jetties; ferries; hotels

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

A view of the jetty at Kyle from the ferry, taken in May 1964. The wooden-hulled MV Lochalsh is alongside.<br /> <br /> The jetty was used for the small ferry boats crossing to Kyleakin on Skye, and to Glenelg. Kyle of Lochalsh has been the location of a ferry since the 17th century, but it was not until the extension of the railway to Kyle in 1897 that traffic using it increased rapidly. The Station Hotel in the background has also expanded over the years, changing its name in the process to the Lochalsh Hotel. The road and jetty were privately owned by the LMS - London Midland Scottish Railway Company.