Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HR 1 at Kyle with a cine camera fitted to its buffer beam
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_966
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27663
KEYWORDS
railway stations
locomotives
HR 1 at Kyle with a cine camera fitted to its buffer beam

This photograph shows HR 1 at Kyle with a cine camera fitted to its buffer beam.

HR 1 'Ben-y-Gloe' was a member of the class of locomotive which became known as the Small Bens. It was built by Dübs & Co. of Glasgow and delivered in July 1898. It was numbered 14397 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1949. It left the works bearing the name 'Ben Nevis' but this was soon changed. During its life its name was variously spelt 'Ben y-Gloe' and 'Ben y'Gloe'. Its BR number was 54397.

Kyle of Lochalsh is the terminus of the Kyle line from Inverness. The station was opened in November 1897. Prior to this, the terminus had been at Stromeferry and the 10-mile extension was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken up to that time, costing £250,000.

The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Goods services in and out of Kyle ceased in August 1983.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HR 1 at Kyle with a cine camera fitted to its buffer beam

ROSS: Lochalsh

railway stations; locomotives

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows HR 1 at Kyle with a cine camera fitted to its buffer beam.<br /> <br /> HR 1 'Ben-y-Gloe' was a member of the class of locomotive which became known as the Small Bens. It was built by Dübs & Co. of Glasgow and delivered in July 1898. It was numbered 14397 by the LMS and continued in service until being withdrawn in February 1949. It left the works bearing the name 'Ben Nevis' but this was soon changed. During its life its name was variously spelt 'Ben y-Gloe' and 'Ben y'Gloe'. Its BR number was 54397.<br /> <br /> Kyle of Lochalsh is the terminus of the Kyle line from Inverness. The station was opened in November 1897. Prior to this, the terminus had been at Stromeferry and the 10-mile extension was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken up to that time, costing £250,000. <br /> <br /> The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Goods services in and out of Kyle ceased in August 1983.