Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
PS Lovedale at Kyle of Lochalsh pier, November 1897
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_979
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
2 November 1897
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27671
KEYWORDS
railway stations
ferries
piers
PS Lovedale at Kyle of Lochalsh pier, November 1897

This view of Kyle harbour was taken on the day the Kyle of Lochalsh Extension between Stromeferry and Kyle of Lochalsh was opened. The paddle steamer 'Lovedale' is alongside.

In 1891, David MacBrayne Ltd purchased a twin-funnelled, two-masted cross-channel steamer, the 'Great Western', from the Great Western Railway Company for use on its Portree to Stromeferry route. After modifications she re-appeared in 1893 as a single-funnelled vessel and renamed 'Lovedale'. After the closure of Stromeferry pier in 1897 she took up the Portree to Kyle of Lochalsh sailing. In 1901 the 'Lovedale' sailed from Portree, via Kyle, to the new harbour at Mallaig to meet the Glasgow train. In 1903 she took over the Islay routes before being scrapped the following year.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

PS Lovedale at Kyle of Lochalsh pier, November 1897

ROSS: Lochalsh

1890s

railway stations; ferries; piers

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This view of Kyle harbour was taken on the day the Kyle of Lochalsh Extension between Stromeferry and Kyle of Lochalsh was opened. The paddle steamer 'Lovedale' is alongside.<br /> <br /> In 1891, David MacBrayne Ltd purchased a twin-funnelled, two-masted cross-channel steamer, the 'Great Western', from the Great Western Railway Company for use on its Portree to Stromeferry route. After modifications she re-appeared in 1893 as a single-funnelled vessel and renamed 'Lovedale'. After the closure of Stromeferry pier in 1897 she took up the Portree to Kyle of Lochalsh sailing. In 1901 the 'Lovedale' sailed from Portree, via Kyle, to the new harbour at Mallaig to meet the Glasgow train. In 1903 she took over the Islay routes before being scrapped the following year.