Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The grounded body of an ex-Caledonian Railway DM SC34 at Kyle, October 1972
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_986
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
2 October 1972
PERIOD
1970s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27676
KEYWORDS
Highland Railway Society
HRS
rolling stock
coaches
The grounded body of an ex-Caledonian Railway DM SC34 at Kyle, October 1972

This photograph shows the grounded body of an ex-Caledonian Railway DM SC34 at Kyle in October 1972.

Kyle of Lochalsh is the terminus of the Kyle line from Inverness. The station was opened in November 1897. Prior to this, the terminus had been at Stromeferry and the 10-mile extension was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken up to that time, costing £250,000.

The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Goods services in and out of Kyle ceased in August 1983.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The grounded body of an ex-Caledonian Railway DM SC34 at Kyle, October 1972

ROSS: Lochalsh

1970s

Highland Railway Society; HRS; rolling stock; coaches

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows the grounded body of an ex-Caledonian Railway DM SC34 at Kyle in October 1972.<br /> <br /> Kyle of Lochalsh is the terminus of the Kyle line from Inverness. The station was opened in November 1897. Prior to this, the terminus had been at Stromeferry and the 10-mile extension was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken up to that time, costing £250,000. <br /> <br /> The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Goods services in and out of Kyle ceased in August 1983.