Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
LMS 17957 and 17953 at Kyle, September 1938
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_991
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
2 September 1938
PERIOD
1930s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27681
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
LMS 17957 and 17953 at Kyle, September 1938

This photograph shows LMS 17957 and 17953 at Kyle shed in September 1938.

Both locomotives were members of the Highland Railway's 4-6-0 Superheated Goods class. All were built by Hawthorn Leslie in Newcastle upon Tyne. LMS 17957 (previously HR 82) was delivered in 1919 whilst 17953 (previously HR 78) had been delivered the previous year.

Also visible, on the right, are the grounded bodies of some rolling stock.

Kyle of Lochalsh is the terminus of the Kyle line from Inverness. The station was opened in November 1897. Prior to this, the terminus had been at Stromeferry and the 10-mile extension was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken up to that time, costing £250,000.

The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Goods services in and out of Kyle ceased in August 1983.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

LMS 17957 and 17953 at Kyle, September 1938

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows LMS 17957 and 17953 at Kyle shed in September 1938. <br /> <br /> Both locomotives were members of the Highland Railway's 4-6-0 Superheated Goods class. All were built by Hawthorn Leslie in Newcastle upon Tyne. LMS 17957 (previously HR 82) was delivered in 1919 whilst 17953 (previously HR 78) had been delivered the previous year.<br /> <br /> Also visible, on the right, are the grounded bodies of some rolling stock.<br /> <br /> Kyle of Lochalsh is the terminus of the Kyle line from Inverness. The station was opened in November 1897. Prior to this, the terminus had been at Stromeferry and the 10-mile extension was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken up to that time, costing £250,000. <br /> <br /> The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Goods services in and out of Kyle ceased in August 1983.