Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Two ferries at Kyle
EXTERNAL ID
PC_HRS_STATIONS_001_998
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Railway Society
ASSET ID
27688
KEYWORDS
railway stations
Highland Railway Society
HRS
harbours
ferries
Two ferries at Kyle

This photograph shows two ferries at Kyle.

The larger ferry in the background is MV Lochmor. She was built at Ardrossan in 1930 for David MacBrayne and sailed the Outer Isles mail route from Mallaig and Kyle of Lochalsh to South Uist, North Uist and Harris with additional stops at the Small Isles, Skye and Scalpay. She was sold in August 1964 to Greek owners.

Kyle of Lochalsh is the terminus of the Kyle line from Inverness. The station was opened in November 1897. Prior to this, the terminus had been at Stromeferry and the 10-mile extension was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken up to that time, costing £250,000.

The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Goods services in and out of Kyle ceased in August 1983.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Two ferries at Kyle

ROSS: Lochalsh

1960s

railway stations; Highland Railway Society; HRS; harbours; ferries

Highland Railway Society

Highland Railway Society - Stations

This photograph shows two ferries at Kyle.<br /> <br /> The larger ferry in the background is MV Lochmor. She was built at Ardrossan in 1930 for David MacBrayne and sailed the Outer Isles mail route from Mallaig and Kyle of Lochalsh to South Uist, North Uist and Harris with additional stops at the Small Isles, Skye and Scalpay. She was sold in August 1964 to Greek owners.<br /> <br /> Kyle of Lochalsh is the terminus of the Kyle line from Inverness. The station was opened in November 1897. Prior to this, the terminus had been at Stromeferry and the 10-mile extension was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken up to that time, costing £250,000. <br /> <br /> The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Goods services in and out of Kyle ceased in August 1983.