Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Black Watch 3rd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland
EXTERNAL ID
AB_BLACKWATCH_005
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
3 December 2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Clare Maclean
SOURCE
Am Baile
ASSET ID
277
KEYWORDS
soldiers
regiments
battalions
Black Watch
parades
wars
uniforms
The Black Watch 3rd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland

The Black Watch began life as independent companies raised in the 1720s by General Wade for policing the Highlands. The companies got the name 'Am Freiceadan Dubh' or 'The Black Watch' from the dark green government-issue tartan they wore. The independent companies were formed into the 43rd Highland Regiment and then the 42nd Royal Highlanders. In 1881 the 42nd (Royal Highland) Regiment of Foot (The Black Watch) were amalgamated with the 73rd (Perthshire) Foot to become the Royal Highland Regiment (The Black Watch).

In 2006 all the Scottish army regiments joined to form the Royal Regiment of Scotland and the Black Watch became The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Since 2007, the battalion's Scottish base has been at Fort George near Inverness. In November 2009 the last group of soldiers from the Black Watch, who had been deployed in Afghanistan, arrived home. As a thank you to the city for the support shown to the troops, the battalion marched from the High Street to the Cathedral for a special service.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Black Watch 3rd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

2000s

soldiers; regiments; battalions; Black Watch; parades; wars; uniforms

Am Baile

The Black Watch began life as independent companies raised in the 1720s by General Wade for policing the Highlands. The companies got the name 'Am Freiceadan Dubh' or 'The Black Watch' from the dark green government-issue tartan they wore. The independent companies were formed into the 43rd Highland Regiment and then the 42nd Royal Highlanders. In 1881 the 42nd (Royal Highland) Regiment of Foot (The Black Watch) were amalgamated with the 73rd (Perthshire) Foot to become the Royal Highland Regiment (The Black Watch).<br /> <br /> In 2006 all the Scottish army regiments joined to form the Royal Regiment of Scotland and the Black Watch became The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland.<br /> <br /> Since 2007, the battalion's Scottish base has been at Fort George near Inverness. In November 2009 the last group of soldiers from the Black Watch, who had been deployed in Afghanistan, arrived home. As a thank you to the city for the support shown to the troops, the battalion marched from the High Street to the Cathedral for a special service.